Monday, July 14, 2008

SD Divisional Series - STS WIN!!!!

Whew... finally my first win. And to make it better, my first place win at a Divisional Series Championship!!!

I had a blast this weekend. Big thanks to good ole' Clay for allowing me to co-drive. This time we were prepared to make it up there and be heard.

Saturday, July 13 2008

Alright... the day started out pretty crappy. I made the mistake of going to a party the night before and ended up only getting 5 hours of sleep. NO BUENO. Walking the course was quite difficult for me that morning. I had walked it 3 times the day before, however my memory retention is pretty poor. After taking a closer look at the course, it became apparent that it would be a very GUTSY course. Meaning... all go, less brakes. Although the course was very spaced out, it still was a tight course and line choice would play a big part. I was very nervous coming into this event. Although it wasn't quite like the national tour. It felt just as big for me.

The car was well setup and prepared for this event other than the driver seat was still the stock couch. Everything from the HF front bar...to the es poly bushings was done in preparation for this race. I personally had no chance at contingency money since i did not attend the SF race. But to me, this was a chance for me to prove to everyone else that I am a contender in STS and that I wasnt just some punk kid with a civic.

First run out... 82.697+1
I had hit a cone on the second slalom before the backside turn around. This actually happened because I was still getting used to the steering response of the car... no problem

Second run out... 79.524

sweet... now im 3rd place and withing 0.5xx seconds from 1st. I still have a chance for tomorrow!!!

Third run was no bueno, i hadnt gone faster and not to mention coned the very last cone of the course...

Sunday, July 14 2008

This was the BIG one... with less than 0.5xx seconds between 1st and 3rd, it was still a toss up on who could win it all. Steve Ekstrand had been leading all weekend but there was still a lot of hope for myself and for Marcko Vasquez (sts 2.5rs)

With plenty of sleep, and a good understanding of the course. I can honestly say that i was prepared for today. Since our run group was last, i had plenty of time to myself to think over the course. At that time, i was also able to install my race bucket seat into the car. I have to say that this addition alone made understanding the car much easier. It then clicked to me like a big flashback that every aspect of this course, i have driven before exactly... with the exception of the increased speed. At that point, all i could think of was... "stay on the pedal, DON'T LIFT!!! IT WILL GRIP!!!"

Early that morning I received a text from good ol' buddy Jason Flores. I can't provide that information...BUT he kept on telling me to just go for it all on the first run... once that scare is out of the way, its all about managing it and harnessing the speed properly. NO PROBLEM

First run out... 77.987
Fastest time in STS based on first runs... everyone but Marcko had been in the 79.xxx second runs just like yesterday. Of course I was shocked to see that time, i thought i had coned somewhere. Right when i came back, I had Steve Ekstrand and Mark Duerst at my grid congratulating me for such a quick first time. It felt nice having a couple veterans of the sport coming over to talk to me. I felt noticed...LOL

Second run wasnt so hot... i was at a low 78.xxx but i knew it wouldnt be fast. You'll see in the video that my line choice was best overall. But that fact that i tried to give more steering input caused me to accel/understeer at some points.

Third run... 77.527
I HAD DONE IT!!! I had gained the overall lead in STS!!! But wait, Marcko was the last STS car to go and he was on my tail as well... turns out his run was a 77.661.

I had beat him by 0.049 seconds!!! Thats crazy talk!!! not to mention the leader of the whole weekend Steve Ekstrand was only 0.090 seconds away from 1st at the end of the day. Wow, what a weekend. SO MUCH EXCITEMENT!

It felt just like the national tour when Jason won. I won on my very last run... second to last person out as well.


Photobucket

No comments: